Saturday, April 4, 2009

Elephants Galore

At the government owned elephant orphanage in Sri Lanka, we mingled a little and paid 100 Rs for the privilege of taking the picture. The hair on the baby's back was as stiff and prickly as bristles on an old fashioned hairbrush. The elephants were so dirty I didn't really want to touch them and thought I certainly wouldn't want to ride one. Later, we found the elephants we rode to be quite cleaned up.


After a while in the dirt and heat, we learned they were going to the river which seemed like a great idea. We tried to get ahead of the parade and eventually stopped in front of a store to watch them go by.






Here they come on their way to the water. The one below seemed to have a mind of his own as he headed right toward us, turning at the last minute but not before I got behind something.

























I took the picture on the right from a safe haven even though he was very close. In the pictures below, I was not quite so safe. The big bull was late coming and exerting his muscle. I was on the little road or path he was on but had no idea that the elephants weren't all down to the water. I looked up to see this huge creature headed right toward me, ignoring the trainer's prods. There was a small post, kind of like a gate post, signaling the path for the elephants which I stepped behind and held onto because one step to the right was a fall down a small cliff to the river.


My camera was in my hands, so while I held onto the post with my left hand, I clicked the pictures with my right. I guess you can get the idea of how close he was. I don't know where Dad was and why I seemed to be the only one in any danger. Sister Kasper was to the side and able to move out of the way. She said she was holding her breath for me.

















These elephants were on the right side of the river from where we were standing and the elephants below with the big black bull were on the left. We watched for a couple of hours and these on the right mostly stood in the water. A few walked to the opposite side and rolled in the dirt.




















It was with some trepidation that I stood this close for a picture but others were doing it and the elephants were interested in being in the water. I'm standing on rock between the two groups.










From what we could tell, most elephants here with the black male were female and he was having his way with them. They were making lots of noise and one of the natives said it was a happy noise. It was rather loud trumpeting and a little alarming to us. Maybe you can spot the baby submerged in the water near the top of the picture with just two elephants beyond and to the left.



















1 comment:

Powers Family said...

Wow!! What an exciting adventure! That is so cool that you saw so many elephants and the baby is so cute. I'm glad that bull didn't get you and push you off the cliff! Dad, where were you?? :) This is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime thing you guys did. It beats the zoo by a long shot! The kids went to bed early, so I'll get their comments tomorrow. They'll be so excited!